Lamont Larsen is a partner at Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP and is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. His transactional practice focuses on acquisitions, divestitures, and commercial agreements, primarily in the energy sector. He represents public, private equity portfolio companies, and other private companies in a wide variety of transactions, including purchase and sale agreements, exchange agreements, corporate mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and financings.
Mr. Larsen’s practice also includes the negotiation of operating agreements and commercial contracts for the upstream, midstream, and renewable energy sectors.
Mr. Larsen is an
active member of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation and serves as a member
of the Advisory Board for the Institute for Energy Law. He has authored several
papers and spoken extensively at various continuing legal education events.
He was named a “Rising Star” in Colorado by Super Lawyers (2015-2018) and was selected for inclusion in Who’s Who Legal: Energy (2015-2019). In 2021, Mr. Larsen was named a Top Lawyer in Natural Resources law by 5280.
Prior to joining DGS, Lamont practiced oil and gas law in Texas for two years. He is admitted to practice in Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, North Dakota, Utah, and Pennsylvania (inactive).
Purchase & Sale Agreements
- $1.05 billion sale of oil and gas assets in Texas and Oklahoma
- $525 million sale of oil and gas assets in Utah
- $455 million purchase of oil and gas assets in North Dakota
- $388 million purchase of Permian Basin oil and gas assets in Texas
- $330 million purchase of Wattenberg oil and gas assets in Colorado
- $215 million sale of oil and gas assets in Colorado
- $214 million aggregate cash and stock purchase of producing Wattenberg oil and gas assets in Colorado
- $183 million purchase of Powder River Basin oil and gas assets in Wyoming
- $173 million sale of Permian Basin oil and gas assets in Texas
- $130 million sale of oil and gas assets in Texas, Colorado, and Wyoming
- $135 million purchase of Permian Basin properties
- $117 million sale of company owning oil and gas properties Arkansas
- $110 million sale of midstream assets in Permian Basin
- $100 million purchase of oil and gas assets in North Dakota
- $97 million sale of producing assets in Texas by seller group containing over 25 sellers
- $68 million purchase of oil and gas assets in North Dakota
- $63 million sale of Niobrara acreage in Wyoming
- $62 million purchase of oil and gas assets in Oklahoma
- $62 million purchase of oil and gas assets in Colorado and Wyoming
- $60 million purchase of mineral and royalty properties across 13 states
- $55 million purchase of oil and gas assets in 363 bankruptcy auction proceedings
- $10 million purchase of oil and gas assets in 363 bankruptcy auction proceedings
- More than 100 oil and gas A&D transactions ranging from $5 million to $50 million
- Contribution Agreement involving Piceance gas assets valued at $440 million in connection with Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings
- Exchange of 80,000 net acres of producing oil and gas properties in Wyoming
- $135 million exchange of oil and gas assets in Colorado
- Exploration Agreement covering 78,000 net acres in North Dakota, with an 18 well drilling commitment
- Exploration Agreement covering 35,000 net acres in North Dakota, with a 16 well drilling commitment
- Joint Development Agreement covering 65,000 net acres in Colorado, with a 6 well drilling commitment
- Participation Agreement covering up to 40,000 net acres of tribal leases in Montana, with a 2 well drilling commitment
- Participation Agreement covering 65,000 net acres in Colorado and Wyoming
- NPI conveyance covering 115,000 net acres
Due Diligence & Title Opinions
- Authored over 100 title opinions covering fee, federal, and state lands in the Rocky Mountain region and Texas.
- Authored acquisition title opinions and assisted with due diligence for a $330 million purchase of oil and gas assets in Colorado.
- Authored acquisition title opinions and assisted with due diligence for a $250 million purchase of oil and gas assets in Colorado.
- Due diligence for a $125 million purchase of a coal mine and related rail and power line assets in Montana.
- Examined mineral title and assisted with due diligence for an in situ uranium project in Texas.
Speaking & Writing Engagements
- “Force Majeure Clauses in Your Oil & Gas Leases,” DGS Legal Alert (March 27, 2020)
- 2015 AAPL Model Form Joint Operating Agreement: An Overview of the New Changes, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Annual Institute, July 2017
- Joint Operating Agreements: A Primer on Drafting and Negotiating Considerations, State Bar of Texas Oil and Gas Disputes: Drafting – Negotiating – Litigating, Jan. 2015
- Is Your JOA Up to Date?, Denver Association of Petroleum Landmen’s Fall Land Institute, Nov. 2014
- Summary of Colorado Pooling Issues, American Association of Petroleum Landmen Pooling Seminar, May 2013
- Suggested Changes to the 1989 AAPL Form Operating Agreement to Address Horizontal Development, 3rd Law of Shale Plays Conference, June 2012
- Horizontal Drafting: Why Your Form JOA May Not Be Adequate for Your Company’s Horizontal Drilling Program, Rocky Mtn. Min. L. Found. J., Vol. 48, No. 1, Spring 2011
- Revised Oil and Gas Lease Form for Colorado State Lands: A Brief Summary of the Proposed Changes, Rocky Mountain Landmen, December 2010
- Why Your Form JOA May Not Be Adequate for Your Company’s Horizontal Drilling Program, Denver Association of Petroleum Landmen’s Fall Land Institute, October 2010
- Royalty Alert — North Dakota Upholds the Deduction of Post-Production Costs, DGS Client Alert, July 2009
- “Royalty Issues in Indian Country”, National Oil and Gas Royalty Conference, October 2008, with Scot Anderson
- Colorado Bar Association – Natural Resources and Energy Section
- Denver Bar Association
- Institute for Energy Law – Advisory Board, Oil and Gas Committee
- North Dakota Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas – Oil, Gas, and Energy Resources Section
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Denver Association of Oil and Gas Title Lawyers
- Denver Association of Petroleum Landmen
- Utah Bar Association
- Wyoming Bar Association – Energy, Natural Resources Section